Thursday, March 21, 2013

My Encounter with the Humanities


I remember vividly the day when I did not see music the same way but I saw music as way to tell a story and I was the story teller. My band director handed out a new piece of music we will play at our last band concert of the year, all I saw were notes on a piece of paper that did not seem hard to play but I was wrong. The piece was entitled An American Elegy by Frank Ticheli and it would forever change my life.

Before I came across the piece during my sophomore year of high school I saw music as just notes on manuscript and me as just a musician who played what they saw on the page. Sadly I had been playing music this way for over eight years and looked over music’s true meaning. When it came to rehearse An American Elegy our band director discussed with us the piece’s meaning and purpose, it was to honor those who lost their lives and survived Columbine. More remarkable that I saw was we were playing on the 10th anniversary of the tragic shooting. The country was remembering a time when lives were lost and saved.

As I began to really look at the music I did not see notes anymore I saw hope, courage and strength. I remember I wasn’t looking forward to the piece because I was playing their clarinet and was not expecting to have any important parts and because it was a small band I was the only one playing the part. As we continued to rehearse the piece every day I noticed I did have an important part where I was playing and it was up to me to keep the emotion of the piece to keep flowing. I began to connect with the music and I felt what the composer was trying to say.


Ticheli wrote the piece in memory who lost their lives in a tradgey and honor those who survived for their strength. I realized what the music said. It told a story and I was the storyteller. As a musician it was my responsibility to describe what the composer wrote to the audience.

The day came for the concert. I felt ready to tell the room full of people what Ticheli wanted to say about of the tragic incident. As my band director lifted up his hand I knew it was time to connect one last time to the piece. The low instruments started the band off, the emotion began to build, one by one each section came in and then we were off to an ever changing moment. The clarinets were in unison, one with another revealing the strength those high school students had ten years prior. The brass expressed the courage the students and teachers had. The band together told the audience the faith that was present at Columbine that April day. Each instrument and musician sounded as one expressing Ticheli’s feelings. The flute, clarinet, horn and euphonium express the unity within the community of Columbine high school. Then the Columbine’s Alma Mater began to play and the tension grew and my emotions where going in different directions. Then in a distance a trumpet is heard playing, a heroic trumpet. At that moment I felt hope and I couldn’t contain myself. It was probably the first time I cried at the band concert. Never before had I saw or heard music in such a matter. There was never a time before where I piece of music made me feel as An American Elegy did. At the end of the piece I felt as though I gave all I had to this piece of music. There weren’t that many notes or hard phrases in the piece but it was the most difficult piece I had ever played because I took the time to look at as a story with emotion and not just notes on a piece of paper.

After that day I didn’t see myself in the same way anymore and I didn’t see music in the same way either. Music is not simply notes on a piece of paper with musical notions that the composer randomly put it. Music is a way for the composer to reveal a thought, emotions or a story. As a musician it was my responsibility to express what he author intended. After performing An American Elegy I never said a piece of music the same way. When new music was handed out to me I took the time to listen to recordings and really understand what the composer intended. Every piece of music as an intention. Four years later I still feel moved when I hear An American Elegy and I still get chills when I hear it. To this day I see every piece of music as a story. When I sing a hymn at church I try to connect with author and their message. When I get handed a new piece of music in band I listen and feel to understand what I need to express. Music is not just different notes and pitches mixed together but an expression of inner feelings and emotions that need to be told.



**This was a paper I wrote for one of my classes and thought I would share it. I hope you have had something change your lives like this song did for me. Maybe it wasn't a song. Maybe it was a poem, an art piece, a film or literature. I hope you reflect upon how the humanities have influenced your life. I am deeply grateful to have had the opportunity to perform this piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment