Thursday, April 11, 2013

Are you pushing your handcart?

I should be finishing my essay but the Spirit is so strong that I can't ignore it. Today in my Sociology of the LDS Church class we discussed the Church in regards with media and film. We watched the following clip.

I usually do not like to show my emotions in public. I will cry in front of certain people but at this point I did not care. As I watched this I couldn't help but cry. It's one of those video that really gets to you. The words of the hymn "Come, Come, Ye Saints" speak so powerfully and when it's combined with a depiction of the Saints the words just become alive. The early Saints had to go through so much when they crossed the plains into a land they did not know much of. The faith they must have had is a testimony in itself. They crossed in the cold freezing winter, in the heat with at times little food and water. They crossed the plains to worship freely and live the gospel freely. We have so much to thank for those Saints. Without them we wouldn't be here today with the gospel, with so many faithful missionaries and many temples where we can receive so many blessings.

I am just going to be honest, it would have been hard for me to have the faith as those Saints did. Am I ashamed of it? No. Each one of us is brought to this earth at a certain time because our Heavenly Father knows we can endure the trails of the time. I know He put me on this earth at this time for a reason. He knew I was strong enough to get through this life right now. I just have to realize for myself that I am strong enough. I may not have to push a handcart of all my possessions across the plains but I do have to push a handcart of my faith through this tempting time in our world. I feel as though I was sent here right now to face all the worldly things going on from drugs, immortality, and other things that do not meet the gospel values. It's a hard time to live in the world being surrounded by so many temptations  But if those Saints came push through a cold river in the middle of winter I can push through a street filled with immoral things.

Times are going to get worse. The thought that my children would be probably see more horrible things than I did growing up scares me. It truly scares me but I know if I prepare myself to teach them to push their own handcart through it all they can protect their faith. Yes I know that won't be for a long time until I have children but the time is now to prepare.  I have made choices in my life to make sure me children and their children will have the gospel in their lives. Some of those choices included leaving people behind who didn't help me push my handcart. About a year ago I decided I needed to prepare myself for the time to come. Everyday I am trying to push my handcart through it all. I know if we put our faith first we will be blessed and it turn out okay in the long run. We just have to remember to put our trust in the Lord through all our trails. At first it may be hard but He will be there with us through it all. 

My question to you is if you're pushing your handcart hard enough?   

No comments:

Post a Comment